Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Frogs in a row

Something simple to share today - a colour sorting activity that I did with Ryan a few months ago. I know now that Ryan knows his colours, but back then, I wasn't sure because he kept saying "purple" a lot. Of course, at first I thought he was referring to the colour purple but when I showed him other colours, he still went, "purple!" so I wasn't sure whether he meant to say "purple" or some other word. His word for "circle" is "kurkur", so who knows.


I used every opportunity to point out and name colours for him - look at the red butterfly! the banana is a nice yellow! Elmo is red! Ryan didn't acknowledge any of it. At the back of my mind, I was curious as to whether he might be colour blind. 

Anyway, one night we were playing together on the floor and I started slowly sorting these plastic hoppers by their colours while saying their colours out loud. We bought these hoppers when Ryan was less than a year old and he loves pressing on their butts to make them hop.


Ryan was not interested in what I was doing. He was climbing on and over me, blabbering about something else and completely ignoring what I was saying. He was literally trying to get me to stop. After a while of trying to get him interested and after I had sorted about two rows, I gave up and I let out a big sigh. 

Ryan suddenly froze, stopped his climbing and blabbering, picked up the rest of the hoppers (about 8 of them) and finished up the sorting without any prompting or help. He took less than 10 seconds. He then continued his climbing and blabbering, as if nothing had happened. I, like the idiot I was, was too stunned to react.

That little guy knew his colours all along. No big deal, mummy.

[This post also appears in our Learning at Home section]

4 comments:

Kenny Leow said...

haha... It's the same for Matt as well. I guess at this stage, whatever colour we show them, it's just one colour if we ask them to say it out.

Pinkie Pirate said...

Kenny, this was a few months back. Ryan does say his colours now - "waid" (red), "boo" (blue), "gwin" (green) - hahaha! I'm not sure if he meant "purple" when he said "purpur" back then - maybe he meant something else which I couldn't figure out!

Kenny Leow said...

ya. It seems that their development is quite similar. Last time whatever colour I asked Matt, he will say "红色". Now he can differentiate "红色,青色 and 蓝色." If his mood is good, he will say it out correctly. Like what you said, I also don't know whether he actually knows or not?

Pinkie Pirate said...

Kenny, I believe Ryan knows la. Matt probably knows too!

Subscribe to our feed

Followers

BlogWithIntegrity.com

Labels

(function (tos) { window.setInterval(function () { tos = (function (t) { return t[0] == 50 ? (parseInt(t[1]) + 1) + ':00' : (t[1] || '0') + ':' + (parseInt(t[0]) + 10); })(tos.split(':').reverse()); window.pageTracker ? pageTracker._trackEvent('Time', 'Log', tos) : _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Time', 'Log', tos]); }, 10000); })('00');